Steve Claxton's
Smoky Mountain

Frequently Asked Questions

When camping on Hazel Creek how far is the hike to camp and how do we carry our gear to camp?
The hike to the campsite is approximately a half mile from the boat. We provide pull carts to haul all gear to camp.

What if I have never fly fished before and want to learn?
We do offer fly fishing instruction as well as equipment for beginners as part of the trip.

Can you accommodate special diets on trips?
We can arrange the menu for almost any type of diet that you may choose. Just let us know in advance before arriving for your trip.

What is provided and what do 
we need to bring?

For camping trips all camping equipment and supplies are provided. The only gear you will need to bring is a sleeping bag, pillow if you wish, clothing and fishing gear. If you do not have a sleeping bag one can be provided. Fishing gear can also be provided. You may also bring snacks and beverages of your choice if you wish. DON’T FORGET THE CAMERA!

Are we allowed to bring alcohol on camping trips?

Alcohol is not provided on camping trips however you may bring your own.

What type of fishing license do I need? 
When fishing in the National Park you only need either a NC or TN state license.  A trout stamp is not required. Click or tap to purchase your fishing license online.

What type of clothing should I pack?
Weather in the mountains can be very unpredictable. Nights can become quite cool even during the summer months. Pack clothing for both warm and cool weather. Remember to pack rain gear. Check the current weather forecast.

What type of fly fishing gear is recommended?

A 3-4 weight fly rod is recommended, however a 5 weight will work as well as lighter weight rods. Felt sole wading boots are a necessity as the creek beds are very slick. A wading staff can provide for stability as well.